Sunday, January 6, 2013

. 23.03.12 wolves .


  The whole Dreamworld was white; covered in snow and ice. Shimmers of black trees surrounding me; some dead, some Fir still semi-buried in the white and standing tall. I'm dressed in a thick coat and heavy military snow-boots; my face buried in the black scarf I wore on the inside of my hood. My gloved hands packing a sniper rifle by my side, as I stare into the distance of the tundra lands before me. At first I'm standing on a rooftop. As I descend back into the building, I find myself in a base of some kind with many others dressed like me. Each of them packing heat, though different sizes and types. I was one of the few snipers they had.

  I sit myself at the window. We're at the second floor of the base and I position my rifle where it should be. I scan the perimeter, anticipating something. The base stirs. Someone got a signal from one of ours nearby; them and their team on the outside. While the others move, I stay put. I don't leave the scope of my sniper. I keep watch. Soon I see some others exit the building below and stand their ground, guarding the base. As if something was approaching any time now.

  And then..... I saw movement.

  White wolves started charging from the cover of the black forest. Shots are fired and blood speckled the snow in minutes. I fired at the large, beautiful beasts regrettably. Wolves were one of my favorite animals. But these were no ordinary wolves. We were sent to this research base to protect it, so the people that belonged to it would continue their search for answers. There was a Canine parasite going around, making the wolves more aggressive than usual; almost rabid. The way they attacked, it was erratic. It seemed like they were even stronger, being able to tear human limbs apart.

  I had to shoot each wolf at least twice to put them down. A few of us were injured and we didn't know whether or not the parasite had any effect on humans. They were sent underground to the labs for medical attention and research. We didn't want any zombie cases to happen, and we wouldn't risk it. When the coast is clear, I go downstairs and outside to help my teammates clear the bodies. I look at the wolves; so majestic. I was sad I had to kill them.

  But then all of a sudden, one of the scientist's dogs started going berserk. He and his friend had to hold him down as he injected some prototype cure for the parasite. But the dog was getting too haywire. I didn't have my sniper with me but a normal rifle and I aimed at the dog's head, as it swayed violently from side to side, ready to gnash anything and everything. But the scientist told me to stand down and wait for the cure to take some effect. It wasn't showing any effect from my perspective. I kept my gun at the ready. The scientist was upset, I could understand. It was his dog. He didn't want to lose him to the parasite. He and his teammate were yelling, arguing some sense into each other when the dog bit into and tore off one of his fingers. Even with a bleeding hand, he still held on to the dog to keep him still, well enough for me to take the shot. And I did.

Poor dog. It was sad when I had to kill all those white wolves. They were so beautiful. And the poor scientist guy. He really loved his dog. I remember it well; it was a handsome, jet-black Labrador. But after the Dream ended, I wondered to myself instead of using bullets, why didn't we just use really strong tranquilizer? Wouldn't that be easier? Unless of course, the canines were already zombies and if that wouldn't take any effect, then I would understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment