Sunday, August 12, 2012

. 13.04.11 super or not super .

  I'm in what appears to be a large metropolitan sort of city, like New York or Los Angelas. Skyscrapers and a forest of buildings and highways surround me, yet laid completely empty. Litter flew about, carried by occasional gusts of wind. There was no one in this huge city. Unlike sets of zombie movies, the city was deserted but not destroyed. Everything seemed in place; the people were just missing. I wandered for a while on the open road but soon found myself leaping to great heights. I had my gliding ability back. So far, throughout my lucid dreaming, I haven't been able to perfectly fly high into the skies of the Dreaming, but I've managed to jump and glide on top of tall buildings; which is what I did. What happened next was quite strange. I was standing idly atop a building when suddenly a torpedo-like bomb dropped from the sky, out of nowhere. I felt the impulse to jump off the building with the bomb, catching it gently before actually hitting the ground. I found I also had super-strength.

  To my surprise the bomb was just a dud, an empty shell. So knowing it wasn't a threat anymore, I entertained myself, throwing the bomb back into the sky, jumping again towards it, playing catch with myself. But once I got back onto the ground, my game was interrupted by hooligans on flying cars. Imagine gangs from the 50's Grease boys in flying hot-rods and Cadillacs, chasing after you at high speed. My first reaction was flight because there were too many of them and for some reason, my flying/gliding ability failed. Instead I pressed on the inside of my palm and a spiderweb shoots out; Spidey powers!! But it was short lived. After shooting just two spiderwebs and swinging off the building's sides, they didn't work anymore and I continued the run on foot. Luckily I cut a lot of sharp corners and hid behind a dumpster area where they lost me.

  After the Greasers lost my trail and I got back my breath from resting behind the dumpster, I noticed some younger kids ganging up on a single, scrawny kid not too far from where I was. My persona was still very much like myself; just an ordinary teenage girl, just a few years older than them. I was taller than them and I had the guts to go up to them checking on what they were thinking of doing. They tried to walk away, bringing the kid with them but I pulled the leader back by the shirt. He was the biggest of the group; a big, chubby, white kid with freckles and curly, ginger hair. I tugged him towards me, telling him to back off the kid. He's about to punch me, feeling insulted a girl my weight can push him around, but I take that fist of his and twist his arm round to his back. Some of his friends tried ambushing me but I saw them and kicked them away. Finally I had him in submission and his gang let the kid go. The kid got behind me as I let the leader go. I said something to him as they walked away, “You wouldn't survive out here, not even in juvie.” I taunted them, getting the better of a group of guys. Funny that I sounded like I had been in juvenile prison before.

What occurred to me, as I woke up from this Dream, is that being a hero doesn't mean you have to have super-cool powers like being able to fly, extinguish nukes or shoot spiderwebs. Being a hero means to stand up for what you think is right; to do the right thing when the time arises. This applies to the current social problem of bullying a lot of adolescents face and sadly most of those cases are treated with the Bystander effect. It's when people don't step in and do something, thinking that someone else will take that initiative –  But how many people actually get in there and help? If you had the chance to prevent traumatic childhood experiences and suicidal attempts, wouldn't you take that chance? Don't just watch. Do something. In the words of SuperChick,

“You could be a hero, heroes do what's right,
You could be a hero, you can save a life,
You could be a hero, you could join the fight,

for what's right, for what's right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment